Master in International Affairs - 2 years
- This innovative two-year programme provides interdisciplinary training in international relations. It combines the theoretical study of international economics, history, international law and political science along with interdisciplinary seminars and professional workshops.
Master in Development Studies - 2 years
- The Master in Development Studies aims to provide students with the methodological and theoretical skills and knowledge, both disciplinary and interdisciplinary, which enable them to approach the major themes in the area of development in a pertinent manner.
Master in Anthropology and Sociology of Development - 2 years
- The Master in Anthropology and Sociology of Development is a two-year programme that provides in-depth training in Anthropology and Sociology from an international perspective. The programme aims to provide students with the analytical and methodological tools to explore the social and cultural systems that influence, and are influenced by, policy interventions, especially – but not exclusively – in the field of development. Other areas of interest include conflict and peacebuilding, location and migration, as well as identity politics.
Master in International Law - 2 years
- The Masters in International Law provides participants with the tools and approaches necessary for a rigorous analysis of contemporary international legal problems. The curriculum covers both public and private international law with a focus on human rights and humanitarian law, state responsibility, environmental law, trade law, international criminal law and dispute settlement.
Master in International Economics - 2 years
- The Master in International Economics combines analytical rigor and practical applications to provide students with the up-to-date tools, knowledge and intuition needed for economic policy analysis. The programme prepares students for doctoral studies, research and careers in the public and private sectors. Core classes focus on micro and macroeconomics, trade policy, regional integration, econometrics, development economics and the international monetary and financial system.
Master in International History - 2 years
- The Master in International History is a two-year programme that sets out to provide participants with the tools and approaches necessary for rigorous analysis of the foreign policies of major powers, political ideas, global economic and social history, the history of international relations as well as subjects with a regional focus.
Master in International Relations and Political Science - 2 years
- The Master in International Relations and Political Science is a two-year programme designed for students wishing to develop expertise in international relations. The programme prepares students for doctoral studies, research activities as well as careers dealing with different aspects of international relations which require strong analytical and research skills, whether in the public or the private sector.
PhD in Anthropology and Sociology of Development -
- The Institute’s PhD with a specialisation in Anthropology and Sociology of Development aims to provide students with analytical and methodological tools to explore the social and cultural systems that influence, and are influenced by, policy interventions, especially – but not exclusively – in the field of development. Other areas of interest include conflict and peacebuilding, location and migration as well as identity politics.
PhD in International Law -
- The PhD with a specialisation in International Law is a four-year programme offering high-level training that prepares graduates for academic careers or executive and research positions in the public or private sectors. Students work closely with a world-renowned faculty composed of both academics and practitioners from many different legal traditions. Classes and seminars are offered in all areas of international law.
PhD in Development Economics -
- The Institute’s PhD with a specialisation in Development Economics is geared towards providing state-of-the-art training in macro and micro-economics as well as econometrics. In this programme, students are encouraged to take a minor in another discipline at the PhD level in order to be equipped to deal with complex issues from at least two academic standpoints. In addition, students have the opportunity to carry out fieldwork by taking part in projects being supervised by faculty members in developing countries.
PhD in International Economics -
- The Institute’s PhD with a specialisation in International Economics offers advanced training focusing on trade and international monetary economics in addition to other key contemporary issues in the economics field. As part of the programme, students produce a thesis that represents a substantial contribution to the discipline which also serves to strengthen their ability to combine independent research with formal methodologies and the tools of modern economics for a future career in this area.
PhD in International History -
- The PhD in International History is a challenging degree tailored for outstanding students with a strong commitment to these areas and a proven ability to carry out independent research work. It helps prepare graduates for an academic career or for research-oriented positions in the public or private sector.
PhD in International Relations and Political Science -
- This PhD is designed to prepare students for a career in international relations involving close contact with research. The programme gives students the range of skills needed to produce their doctoral thesis and to carry out and understand in-depth research after their studies. Students work closely with advisers and other faculty members and are given the opportunity to work on multiple projects and present their research at major international meetings.
Summer Programme on International Affairs and Multilateral Governance - 3 weeks
- The summer programme on International Affairs
Governance provides participants
with a unique opportunity to learn and think about
major current issues in world politics and the
resulting challenges for multilateral governance.
The programme makes participants experience
the world of multilateralism through direct interaction
with diplomats, negotiators and activists and
through visits to some of the prominent international
organisations located in Geneva.
Summer Programme on the WTO, International Trade and Development - 2 weeks
- The Summer Programme on the WTO, International
Trade and Development provides participants with
a unique opportunity to enter into the analysis and
atmosphere of multilateral trade, just a few meters
away from the WTO.
The programme, delivered with the Graduate Institute
Centre for Trade and Economic Integration, combines
and integrates economic, legal and political analysis
of international trade and development. Participants
will benefit from input of negotiators, academics and
issue-based activists, and will experience the field of international trade firsthand.
LL.M. in Global Health Law and International Institutions - 2 years
- A joint programme WITH Georgetown University Law Center in Washington. This LL.M. is open to highly qualified candidates from the public and private sectors with a first degree in law (or their J.D.) and a strong interest or background in global health law and policy. The programme brings together two institutions at the cutting edge of global heath law diplomacy (Georgetown University Law Center and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies) to offer graduate students an unmatched opportunity to further their careers in a rapidly growing field of law. Students may begin their coursework at Georgetown on a full- or part-time basis. After completion of one full-time semester or up to three part-time semesters at Georgetown, students will complete the program with a full-time spring semester at the Graduate Institute in Geneva.
Fields of Specialization
Anthropology and Sociology of Development
International Relations/Political Science
Each year the Graduate Institute awards an important number of scholarships to Master and PhD students for its study programs in the field of international affairs, development studies, international economics, political science, international law, international economics and international history. Scholarships are awarded according to academic merit and financial need of students.
There are three categories of scholarship:
Full scholarships: with a few exceptions, these are worth CHF 18,000. Recipients are exempt from Graduate Institute tuition fees.
Partial scholarships: the value of these grants varies according to the individual needs of the recipient student. These grants do not cover tuition fees which recipients of partial grants are required to pay.
Tuition scholarships: these grants cover tuition fees for one academic year. They are awarded to exceptional students.
To consult a list of scholarships available through the Institute and how to apply for them, please visit:
Please send your scholarship request at the same time as the documents of your application file (procedure is online).
Professional Fellowship Opportunity
Global South Scholar-In-Residence Programme
This programme aims at developing an intellectual exchange between academics from Africa, Asia and Latin America and the Graduate Institute's faculty. Three candidates per semester will be selected to spend one semester at the Institute in order to take advantage of the programme to update their teaching curricula, participate in teaching courses, further their research projects and contribute to enriching the intellectual life of the Institute. To view the application, click here.
For more information, visit the relevant page on Graduate Institute's website:
http://graduateinstitute.ch/in-residence, click here.
Or send an email to: email@example.com
Conflict and Security Studies
History of International Relations
Humanitarian and Human Rights Law
International Organisations and Institutions
International Finance and Trade
International Political Economy
Migration and Refugees